Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Sad Day

Last Thursday on my way home from my bowling league around 10:30 at night, I was driving down a back road and happened across a stray German Shepherd. He was pretty emaciated and had some bad mange. I ended up taking him home for the night and in the morning I planned on dropping him off at the humane society (that wouldn't kill him). As it turns out, the humane society doesn't take in stray animals, they only take owner surrendered pets. So luckily, my friend Bobby knows a girl who rescues dogs and also works at an animal hospital. I got word that she was willing to take him in, and I drove right over to drop him off. He stayed the weekend there, but after the vet ran some tests and x-rays it was determined that he was in really bad shape.

He was only about 2 years old, and had really bad hips. So bad that he would require a surgery that costs around $9,000 - $10,000. Not to mention that his ACL is torn, and the really bad mange that would require some intense medication. All of this coupled with the fact that he is only two makes it that much worse. Since he is so young, the pain he is in will only get worse as he gets older even with the surgery. In the end, the most humane thing to do is to put him to sleep.

For the condition he was in, he was still super sweet. He wasn't skittish at all, and well behaved. He didn't really like to be touched other than on his head because the mange was so bad which made it uncomfortable for him, but he loved the attention. He would've made the best pet.

So here is a shout out to the giant shepherd with a big heart.







You will be in good company with Larkin's mom, Vader, Syber Kitty, Dr. Binks, Mattaoe, Bayah and MJ.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Yes, he will. Jordan said he was a total sweet heart. You did such a good thing bringing him to her. She has such a heart for animals (which is obvious if you ever go to her house!) He will be in great company and I think that when we get there, we are going to have the best time reuniting with all our furry friends that were so awesome here on earth! Love ya girl. Call if you need anything.

Mitzy said...

Jess - He was such an awesome and sweet dog. I didn't have him for long, but I grew quite attached to him. Thanks for the support. :) Love ya back.

Larkin said...

Ok I am totally crying. Especially there at the end. You know mom will take very good care of him. You did a good thing kid, and it will come back to you.

Mitzy said...

Larkin- It gets me all choked up every time I think about it. But I know your mom is taking good care of him, and they are having a great time with MJ.